Inliners International
Posted By: leaded Carb orientation.... - 03/24/09 06:26 PM
What´s best? ..on a 2bbl. Sideways (inline with crank) , or normal way with gasbowl in front?

Which gives best fueldelivery, similar delivery on all cyl.,or?
Posted By: pinebluffdude Re: Carb orientation.... - 03/25/09 02:43 AM
Some of the early 1980 Chevy Inline six motors had a carb that sat sideways. The carb was the same one used on Front wheel drive GM cars, so the throttle cable curved around and pulled from the side.

I think maybe in Drag Racing it might make a difference, but those guys are OCD. In the real world, I dont think the motor cares, so long as you are getting an adequate supply of clean fuel.
Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER Re: Carb orientation.... - 03/25/09 02:25 PM
FWIW: On one of my hot rods I have a 2GC mounted BACKWARDS (to clear the Ford distributor) and it works dandy - even on hole shots.
Posted By: Ron Golden Re: Carb orientation.... - 03/25/09 08:36 PM
Acceleration can be a factor on the way a carb is mounted. 1G of acceleration will cause the fuel to "pile-up" at the back of the carb at a 45 degree angle. More than 1G will cause the fuel to pile-up at a more severe angle.

On a drag car that leaves the starting line at 3-5 G's, the fuel can/will uncover the jets in the secondary fuel bowl of a 4 barrel carb and the engine will go dead lean.

I suggest you mount the carb with the jets toward the back of the vehicle. That way when you accelerate the fuel will pile up and cover the jets. Realistic, it really won't matter which way the carb's mounted on the average, mild street car.

Ron
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Carb orientation.... - 03/26/09 09:31 AM
They make tubes that fit over the jets so uncovering them really isn't a problem either.
© Inliners International Bulletin Board