Online Store
Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
moregrip1
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by moregrip1
moregrip1
As many on here likely do, I have been collecting parts for a few years now and have some forged TRW 2289 .030 pistons I'd like to run in my engine when it comes rebuild time. Also just took delivery on some .030 Perfect Circle rings (circa 1978 according to the ink stamp).
Are the 2289's considered the LPG pistons?
Do they have any effect on compression ratio?
Lastly, being NOS they have their fair share of knicks and scratches but nothing I would consider critical; what should I look out for and is this common?
In other words, they don't look like a set of Tom's custom Ross pistons by a long shot!
Liked Replies
by CNC-Dude #5585
CNC-Dude #5585
Not a good idea, it'll create more piston rock. Under the pin bosses are a better spot to remove material. The old 12-1/2:1 440 domed pistons were like cinder blocks weight-wise and I've taken a huge amount of weight out of a bunch of those in those areas. Lighter wrist pins are also an option. Just know that in a street engine, you will never know the difference if the pistons are 10 pounds each or 2 pounds each. In a race engine you will.
1 member likes this
by Beater of the Pack
Beater of the Pack
I think for a street engine it is more important that they weigh the same than be lighter. I don't know when you have to be concerned with the balance between the rods & pistons and the crank counter weights.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available