Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Last night I jump in the old '65 c10 to head off to work. I turn the headlight switch knob and the dome light didn't come on. So I turned it off/on in case it got hung up as it was chilly out, nope.

Popped off the dome light cover, pulled the bulb and from the glow of the headlights, it looked kinda burnt. OK, no biggie I'll fix it in the light tomorrow(today)... so I go to snap the bulb back in... and the original 1965 plastic dome light assembly crumbled into a bunch of pieces in the back!

It musta been faulty construction!

haha!

Anyways, ordered a new base model dome light assembly and a fancy 'clear' lens this morning.

That's my edition of 'old trucks are fun' for this week.

-W

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here's mine. I drove my '68 C20+ flatbed to Reno yesterday to take part in the recording of a radio program that will air Saturday. I had a choice of the '68 which has brakes or my Yukon which has a heater. When I headed down Six Mile Canyon from Virginia City last night it was about 10F. Comfort was not an issue. There was none. We fixed the brakes on the Yukon today. I have a new heater core for the '68 but it a pain to install.I got one of those little plug in 12V heaters. It would be fine if the temp was 77F. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I have a new heater core for the '68 but it a pain to install. Beater [/quote]

That's cake Beater! Now the one in the Yukon, hope you never have to go there!

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
The one in my '97 Dakota sucks unbelievably to change (dismantle vehicle, replace heat exchanger in sub assembly, assembly is reverse of dis assembly. \:\( ).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I got it! We spent a grand to have the heater core changed in my wife's 2000 Jeep. When you sit in the seat, everything between you and the windshield must be removed. A pack rat and the blend doors added to the fun. I have purchased my last new car. I'd rather freeze in a '68 Chevy than have to pay that much for heat. In Nevada you can buy a lot of warmth for $1,000!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
That's my Dodge, my favorite part was the terminology in the factory service manual.

It said "remove instrument panel" as the only major step before removal of the heater assembly (heater comes out as an assembly, change core, reinstall).

Of course that's just to get your hopes up that it might be a relatively simple job.

Then you find out that what Dodge calls "instrument panel" the entire rest of the planet calls something like "dashboard" or "dash assembly".

Airbags is fun too (not).

At least they route the entire wiring harness through the dash, so you get to spend extra time chasing down all the connections you have to take loose, and most of them have those wonderfully intricate locking connectors that are easy to reach, as long as your hands are the size of an infant's.

Last edited by Nexxussian; 12/16/11 09:52 PM. Reason: missed an a

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 59 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement