Print Thread
Rate Thread
#4535 08/12/04 10:37 PM
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
On Monday and Tuesday I got my old 235 in the car and going. The amazing thing is it fired on the first try. I pushed gas through the lines and to the carb with an air line in the gas tank. I took her for a spin in the parking lot of the shop where I was working on it and it ran great. 46 psi on the oil gauge. (I made sure to prime it first). My only problems beside setting the carb a little, and tomorrow I'll be throwing the timing lite on it because of a few hicups, Is it over heated and fast. Boiled over through the overflow. I didn't have time to look at it since the test drive, I'll be at it first thing tomorrow. So if any body has a few suggestions as to what to look for please give me some advice.

The engine is stockand freashly rebuilt. The rad is rebuilt and oversized tops and bottoms. I had the heater core out and its flushed. I will check the thermostat first. Now the only thing beside a dead water pump (it never came off), I can think of is my heater core hoses. I had maked them Top and Bottom when I tor down the engine, but when I was putting it back together the marking were gone. Could the position of these make a difference, could my engine be too tight, am I air locked in the head, (yet I've got fluid up the temp gauge sender hole. Oh and the mixture is 50/50.

What else could I look for?

Bill
53 Chevy Belair
235 Stock (For now!)
#4536 08/12/04 11:38 PM
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Red;

I would take out the thermostat & see if the coolant circulates okay. Water pumps rarely "die". The bearing gets noisy is about all.

All the rest is probably okay.

Good luck, John M......

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
#4537 08/13/04 03:06 AM
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Check the timing.Retarded timing will make a engine run hot.Maybe a cracked cylinder head or leaking head gasket ? Years ago had a friend that removed the radiator from his Dodge roadster.Car had a Ford flathead engine in it.After sitting all winter,he reinstalled the radiator and was having overheating problems that he did not have before.After removing the lower radiator hoses,he found a mouse had built a nest in one.He cleared the blockage and the overheating problem went away.
EvilDr235

#4538 08/15/04 02:00 AM
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thankfully it was just the thermostat. Other then that The car is running fine.

Bill
53 Chevy Belair
235 Stock (For now!)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 416 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available